Brighton Marathon 2011 – Not my greatest day!

If you’ve not read my pre-race post then please feel free to do so.  Now onto race day….

Pre-race day preparation

Pre-race day preparation

5:30am wake up followed by coffee and porridge.  We were staying at my parents house on Saturday night (about 45 minutes drive from Brighton) which was nice but I have to say that they’re not quite familiar with the do’s and don’ts of races.  Firstly I was offered fresh seafood for lunch on Saturday and then asked if I could help my father move a large sofa from storage a little distance from home to their new extension.  Dodgy food and anything that could injure you or pull the wrong muscle is not good day-before preparation.  I declined on both counts.

We arrived early in Brighton and were fortunate enough to be invited round to a friends house who was also running the marathon and just so happened to live about 10 minutes walk from the start.  Brilliant.  That meant fresh coffee and no pre-race portaloo visits.  Result.  I was also able to leave his house at 8:35am and be in the starting pen at 8:45 – ready for the 9am start.

The weather was going to be on the warm side, that’s for sure (20ish degrees).  A light wind with clear blue skies.  The sunshine and heat wasn’t of any concern to me.  I’ve run in much much hotter weather both in training (not recently I might add!) and also during the marathon run at Challenge Roth in Germany last summer (where I ran 3:35 after a little swim and bike ride ;).  I was happy with all my pre-race nutrition and liquids and was ready to run a steady 3:09.  From a ‘pacing band’ that I’d printed out I wrote on my arm the main splits I needed (5, 10, 13.1, 20, 25 miles).

As the starting gun went it was only about 10 seconds before I crossed the line.  The first couple of miles were pretty busy but it soon got quieter.  With the first half of the race being rather ‘lumpy’ I was anticipating running up to two minutes slower during the first half, but with a pancake flat second half I’d be able to make up time with a good ‘negative split.’

Around 4 miles

Around 4 miles

The first few miles were actually fairly speedy, and I hit five miles bang on target – 36 minutes.  This was time for my first energy gel (well, my second as I’d had one about 30 minutes before the start).  At around eight miles I could feel that my quads were really starting to hurt.  Somewhat similar to how they hurt after my ‘easy’ 13.5 miler on Monday of this past week (they were still hurting on Friday).  This did not particularly bode well!!

My heart rate was also messing around with me – much higher than I would ever expect it to be based on effort.

At around 13.5 miles

At around 13.5 miles

I ran close to the 3:10 pacer for the first 10 miles or so although my quads started giving me real grief at about 8 miles. I soldiered on. Hit the halfway mark bang on target (about 1:34:15) and deep down hoped that the flat second half would allow me to fight round the last 13 miles!  Oh how I was wrong.

Miles 16-20 were a nightmare as my splits got worse and worse and my heart rate went up and up. As I hit 20 miles I’d waved goodbye to my target and had to resort to a run walk strategy – something I’d never done before in a marathon (not even during Ironman).  I just wanted to get round at this point – the race I wanted wasn’t going to happen and I didn’t want to kill myself – I just wanted to finish in a respectable time.

It was hard hard work and my legs were hurting almost as much whether I walked or ran.  After walking for 2-3 minutes I tried to run and occasionally I could run more than a 3 or 4 minutes at once!  At around 23 miles after the 3:20 pacer came past I was able to run more and walk less.  I say run in the loosest sense there!

Mileage splits

Mileage splits

At around 25.5 miles I saw Sharon and Kirsty (who knew things weren’t good after seeing the 3:10 and 3:20 pacers run past) so I was happy to stop very briefly to let them know that I was fine.  I ran to the finish from here alongside a chap from Wimbledon Windmilers – we had both had a bloody tough day.

As for my time, I came in at 3:25:37 which although is way off of my target I’m fairly happy with it considering the conditions and how I felt during the last 16 miles (for info my standalone marathon personal best is 3:19:46 at London in 2009).  Many people would kill for a time like that.  I was 358th out of 7817 finishers – the last finisher came home in 9 hours 8 minutes 54 seconds!

This year there were 15,000 entrants, and with 7645 finishers that’s just over 52 percent of entrants finished.  Many hundreds/thousands wouldn’t have even started.  In 2010 there were 12,000 entrants and just under 62% of entrants finished (7437 finishers).

I saw a lot of people struggling round near me and as for the 3:10 pacer – I saw quite a few people fall off of back of the group (it was about 25 people strong early on) and he was spotted running with one or two other runners about half a mile from the finish.  I’m not sure what the usual drop-out rate is but this doesn’t look good.  Unfortunately I don’t know how many actual starters there were this year or last.

The support was absolutely fantastic. The marshals/volunteers top notch and this is a brilliant race to run. I’ve got some unfinished business here!

Tough day at the office, that’s for sure.  A sub 3:10 time is in me, I know it.  I just have to be able to deliver the time I deserve on race day.  That’s the tough bit!  It will happen.

Posted in David, Ranelagh Harriers
13 comments on “Brighton Marathon 2011 – Not my greatest day!
  1. Happychap says:

Well done David, an honest blog and lovely photos (I’m guessing by Sharon). One day mate it will all come together for you.

2. Duncan Malliison says:

Still a great achievement considering the weather and your preparation. You are certainly a sub 3:10 runner and I think you are probably capable of breaking 3 hours. You just need the right race and you will do it. Its tough for a couple of weeks after but in time you will turn the disappointment of Sunday into even greater motivation to reach your target next time around.

3. Danny Norman says:

“then asked if I could help my father move a large sofa from storage a little distance from home to their new extension.” – srsly?

4. Lou says:

Any idea what the quad issue is/was? Very wierd. So annoying when something new and strange gets in the way. You sound amazingly sanguine but don’t know what you’re feeling inside. I think many of us have been there (although my targets were a bit different to yours). I think the fact that you did a 3.35 IM mara says it all. You are an ironman and made of tough stuff and Will Be Back!

Do you know Gobi, the 3.10 pacer? He had no one with him at the end, except his girl friend! No consolation, I’m sure – but shows you it was a tough day at the office. x

5. Sharon says:

Henny, yes, we’ve known Mark for a few years. As far as we could tell he had one Heathside runner with him at 25.5 miles (and Rach too obviously, who we didn’t see earlier on with him so aren’t sure if she ran the whole thing). I am sure it was horrible for him to not have anyone to “bring home” to a GFA :(

6. PSC says:

as always David, a well written blog from the heart. You’ll crack GFA easily one day and then wonder why you previously struggled. Life’s funny like that isn’t it! Look back a few years and see how much you’ve done – you are an incredible athlete and Brighton 2011 just wasn’t meant to be, onwards and upwards to better things…. :-)

7. Great blog & so full of positivity on a tough, tough day Mr Rowe. Your legs might have failed you on the day but that’s not because they’re not capable, sounds like that bug just before race day drained your very being… except for that strong mind of yours :)
    So… what’s next on the marathon calendar sir? You’ve got a score to settle ;) x

8. Danny Norman says:

He’s going to have me pace him to a 3:09 at a Marathon in the late summer. He’s not agreed it, I’ve just decided.

9. Good work Daniel, I like your style :)

10. I thought Ed Whitlock was his new pacer?!

11. Sharon Rowe says:

No no DB he’s only allowed to do a marathon if he’s had a longish swim and a 112 mile bike ride as a warm up ;)

12. Rachael Elliott says:

I was the “floating pacer” so was running with various pacers around the course and had to stand in if anyone dropped out – which is why you didn’t see me earlier on and why I looked so fresh at the end (and don’t have a time clocked)!

Quite a few people “pushed on” in the last couple of miles, but a similar number (and probably more) dropped back. From initial analysis, the faster runners actually seemed to struggle more than those who were out there a while on Sunday – quite rare. A lot of people crashed and burned very badly (which was horrible to see) and I know a fair few people going for 3:10 who ended up with times slower than yours, David (and, like you, were more than capable of going sub-3:10).

Considering you’d been struck with (what sounds like) a horrible virus in the past week (which *will* take it out of you – whether you believe it or not!), I think you did very well.

13. Sharon says:

Ah, that explains it Rach, thanks. Kirsty and I were most confused and it didn’t take much to confuse us on Sunday to be fair. I think a *lot* of people had tough days – and I absolutely believe that D being ill the week before was the problem. I tried very hard to get him better but it took too much out of him :( Onwards and upwards eh?

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "Brighton Marathon 2011 – Not my greatest day!"
  1. […] the main ‘highlight’ of 2011 being the Brighton Marathon there wasn’t much else of note that year.  Towards the end of the year I started building up […]

2. […] to ‘mark ii’ means there must be a ‘mark i’ – this could either be David’s report from 2011 or my London Marathon from 2012. You […]